Thursday, October 30, 2008

Checking in on Thursday

For the past few years, Thursday night in prime time has been the most watched night of television. Is this because people are so tired from the work week that they stay at home? Is it because the networks know people don't watch a lot of tv on Friday and Saturday nights, so they treat Thursday as their last gasp of the week? Who knows. That's just the way it is.

Because so many people watch tv on Thursdays, the networks put their big players out on that night. There was a lot of hoopla when ABC decided to move Grey's Anatomy to Thursday at 9 to go head-to-head with CSI, and people all over the country bitched about the conflict. Now things have gotten even harder, with NBC putting The Office and 30 Rock into play at the 9 o'clock hour. As things heat up heading into sweeps into November, here's my big plan for upcoming Thursdays at 9.

Supernatural: Call me a dork, but this is my Thursday night highlight. I've got a season pass programmed on the DVR, and I usually watch it live (well, 15 minutes late so I can fast forward through the commercials). And this week's episode is a special Halloween episode, which means hijinks will ensue! And Jensen is hot. The end.

CSI: I'm a very casual CSI viewer. If the other shows are reruns and I don't have anything waiting from Netflix, I'll check it out. And of course, Spike TV has the show's syndicated episode on a constant loop. But I'll have to record it on my VCR starting next week (how's that for old school?) because my favorite guest-star from all time will be on. Melinda Clarke (a.k.a. Lady Heather). You may know her from appearances on Firefly and Chuck, but Melinda Clarke is just made of awesomeness and Lady Heather episodes of CSI are always creeptastic in that way all great CSI episodes are. Remember last year when they showed Lady Heather's daughter having to chew through her own wrist to escape handcuffs to avoid being tortured by some creepy Nazi guy? That was awesome. And disgusting. But Melinda Clarke makes it all good. So I'll be giving CSI a whirl in November.

Oh, and if you want to be filled in on the Grissom/Lady Heather backstory, check this out.

She will eat you up and spit you out. Love her!

The Office: I'm a loyal The Office viewer, but I DVR it and watch it the next morning while getting ready for work. I just can't justify staying up past 10 to watch tv when I have to get up at 5:30 the next morning.

30 Rock: I checked out 30 Rock when the first season aired and thought it was ok. Alec Baldwin was funny (as always), but other than that it didn't really do anything for me. But since it won the Emmy for best comedy and has been getting a ton of buzz, I figured it was time to check it out again. Also, Oprah will be on, and everyone loves Oprah!

Grey's Anatomy: You're kidding right? I do not watch this show.

Kitchen Nightmares: Meh. I prefer the British version on BBC America.

No comments: