Monday, March 31, 2008

Lifetime: Television for Serial Killers and the Women Who Love Them

So, let's talk Lifetime. As in "television for women." As in, "Maggie really enjoys watching the Spike channel and has probably never seen a Lifetime movie except when she goes to her Grandmother's house and her Grandmother and Aunt make her watch all those movies made from Danielle Steele novels." But, it looks like Lifetime might be trying to toughen its image.

Tonight, starting at 6:00 pm, Lifetime is airing its first original miniseries, "The Capture of the Green River Killer," about the true story of a serial killer who terrorized Seattle in the 1980s and 90s. Part I actually aired last night, but I was too busy emptying all of my kitchen cabinets and drawers in preparation for my condo's annual extermination extravaganza. But the entire thing is airing tonight, so no worries.

The miniseries stars Tom Cavanagh as the police detective (turned sheriff, turned Congressman), whom you might remember from Ed. I wouldn't expect to see any of his light comedic fluffiness in this drama (or Michael Ian Black for that matter), but the reviews have been good and it feeds into my enjoyment of the serial-killer-true-crime genre. So I'll definitely be watching.

Oh, did I mention that it stars James Marsters (Spike!) as convincted serial killer Ted Bundy? Hot and disturbing. Sweet.

Methinks there is a reason James Marsters keeps getting roles playing sociopaths.

1 comment:

Monkey Sri said...

Let's look at our list of sociopaths, shall we?

Dale from The Riches = kinda hot
Dexter = dorky, but hot
Sylar from Heroes = pretty damn hot
James Marsters in Buffy, Angel, Torchwood and the aforementioned movie = super mega-hot

What is up, Hollywood? How am I supposed to learn the proper life-preserving fear of serial killers if you keep making them into eye candy? Are you trying to get me chopped into bits and dropped into the ocean???