Tuesday, October 19, 2010

It's not you, it's me.

Well, we had a good run, Chuck. But after three years (has it really been that long?) it's time for us to go our separate ways. But please believe, it's not you, it's me.

I know that's a break-up cliche, but it's really true. You're just as adorable as you always were...and maybe that's the problem. At some point there should be character growth, right? It's not like they haven't tried: they gave you kung-fu powers, reunited you with your Dad, got you and Sarah together, even blew up the Buy More. But for some reason, it just seems like we are standing still. And as promising as this season's premiere was, especially with the addition of Linda Hamilton to the cast, I just don't think I can carry on. Watching you has become a chore, something that I have to do, and that's no way to have a relationship.

I think part of the problem is that you insist on keeping things from your family. When Captain Awesome found out about your spy status and got involved in the action, those were my favorite episodes. But still, Ellie can't be told this and can't be told that and so we still have those "hilarious" mishaps and communication problems where everyone is keeping something from someone else and....I just can't do it anymore. I'm sorry.

And while I will miss you and your poofy hair, Chuck, I think I will really miss Adam Baldwin most of all. But since the man doesn't appear to age (seriously, someone should check his walls for a Dorian Gray-style portrait) I can always cling to my Firefly DVDs when I need a Baldwin fix.

This doesn't mean it's the end for us, though. I'm willing to bet the show will get syndicated soon so we'll always have our reruns. And since you guys are one of the funniest casts ever, you better believe I'll be seeing you at Comic Con next year. After all, how can I miss another Jefster performance?

So hang in there, Chuck. Eat some ice cream and cookie dough, and hey, things are already looking up! Over at EW.com, they are reporting that your back 9 pick-up is coming soon. So yay! But you're going to have to just carry on without me.

Stop crying, dude. Seriously, it's pathetic.

1 comment:

Scienter said...

I watched the first two eps of this season and just didn’t care for them and was on my way to breaking up too. I want to see more of Chuck’s mom and less lying to Ellie. Plus, it was so predictable that Ellie is pregnant. That storyline sounds like it will be kind of boring. But, I might actually watch last week’s ep because it’s a Casey episode and like you, I loves me some Jayne, umm… I mean Adam Baldwin. I still have my season pass on Tivo. One of the sci fi blogs I like said that he totally steals the show and it’s an awesome episode. So, I’m willing to give Chuck another chance.