Wednesday, April 07, 2010

I'm already crazy, thanks.

What's the longest amount of time you've ever spent alone? I'm talking no human contact. Even during the blizzard in February when I was housebound for almost a week, I talked to people. On the phone, online, I even felt like I had some interaction from television. But what if there had been nobody? Just me. And no books, television, or internet. Just me and my brain locked in a room.

Yeah, I think I would have gone insane. Like Jack Nicholson in The Shining type of crazy. Heeeeeeere's Maggie!

On April 11, the National Geographic Channel is airing a documentary about people who voluntarily go into solitary confinement. According to the show's website, solitary could cause "long term mental problems like paranoia, disorientation, and delirium."Fun!

So I guess we'll be seeing these people gradually going crazy as they try to keep their minds intact while spending almost the entire day locked inside a small room. Alone. I think for me the toughest thing would be not knowing what time it is. While I have a pretty good eternal clock, being locked in a room with no idea of the passage of time would be maddening. Literally. But I'll definitely be watching, because the concept and the show sound fascinating.

And hey, if I get tired of that I can always watch Spider Sex.

No really. There's another National Geographic show called Spider Sex. Now THAT's entertainment.

No comments: