Saturday, April 03, 2010

Change--good or bad?

I'm not a big fan of change. I like routine, schedules, planning. Don't get me wrong, I like to have fun, in fact a friend of mine described me as a "spontaneous planner," which means aside from sudden bouts of adventure, I like things to stay as they are. I guess you could say I follow an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy of life.

So I don't know what to think about the big changes that have been announced for this summer's edition of So You Think You Can Dance. Over on Twitter, Nigel Lithgoe, the show's producer, has been teasing changes to my favorite reality series including making this an All-Stars edition, having the dancers switch partners every week, no top 20, etc. You can find a round-up of the changes over at Entertainment Weekly's Pop Watch blog.

On one hand, it seems like a cool idea to have the cream of the crop return, on the other it kind of smacks of desperation. The show didn't do so hot when FOX moved it to the Fall, and there were big problems with the scheduling. Also, one of the coolest parts of the show is seeing some unknown dancer plucked from obscurity shine on a world stage. These dancers all had their chance; they've already competed and not won the prize. Why should they get another shot? Of course, we also know that since they are considered All-Stars all the dancers will be awesome. Which makes for good television.

I just don't know what to think. I guess the proof will be in the pudding; if the show is great we will all say Nigel is a genius and what a success the season was. If the show kind of sucks, we'll boo him and move onto next summer.

I'm only really sure of one thing: bring back Twitch!

No comments: