Monday, January 25, 2010

Human Target: rate it OK for....being just ok.

I remember watching the ads for Human Target and being pretty excited. First of all, it stars three of my favorite actors: Mark Valley (who first landed on my radar back in the day with Keen Eddie), Chi McBride (Pushing Daisies, FTW!), and Jackie Earle Halay. It also looked pretty badass, with lots of BANG, POW, and BAM! Oh, and explosions. You gotta have explosions.

While it might be harsh to say that I found the show disappointing....if I'm honest, I need to say that I am a bit disappointed. Granted only two episodes have aired so far, and the show is shaping up to be a solid action procedural, but I was hoping for some kind of Big Bad arc-type thing. Think more Alias (with less Rimbaldi, yeesh). But, I am going to keep watching, because like I said, there have only been two episodes and it is definitely a solid show.

Here's the basic premise: Christopher Chance (his name is Chance, subtle, no?) is in private security and, "when there is an unusual or imminent threat that can't be solved through 'normal' means of protection, Chance is hired to completely integrate himself into his clients' lives - to become the human target." So basically, instead of just protecting people, he tries to draw out the person trying to kill them and take them out before they get the chance to do the same to the client.

He's aided by his business partner, Winston (Chi McBride) and a "hired gun," Guerrero (Jackie Earle Halay). Here's another itty bitty complaint: if you get such great character actors like Chi McBride and Jackie Earle Halay, you need to use them. Sure Chi has gotten some opportunities to be funny and put upon, but not that many, and sure Jackie has gotten to do his patented, "I am so motherfucking crazy I could kill you where you stand," but again, not many. I hope the show finds a way to give these guys material that lets them do what they are capable of, because right now I ain't seeing it. Maybe we'll start delving into their backstory and see more soon...

So if you're looking for a solid action procedural, this is definitely the show for you. If you were looking for something with a little more meat and perhaps a non-paranormal themed season long arc, this might be the show for you, but right now I'm not so sure. I'll definitely stick with it for love of the actors, but it needs to step it up or I could quickly get bored.

No comments: