Monday, September 28, 2009

If You Need a Vamp Fix, This Isn't It!

This year I committed to trying new things, experiencing new shows, and in some cases this has been beneficial. For instance, community, which MaggieCats blogged about last week was a GREAT success. And then there has been the awful. This installment of the awful is devoted to CW's Vampire Diaries. I am aware of the great risk I was taking by giving this show a chance.
For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of being bored by this show, it is based on the Vampire Diaries books by L.J. Smith. These books have been doing pretty well amidst the fame of the Twilight Series and the Sookie Stackhouse series. I have not read the books. I thought Sookie and Bella were enough for me. The show is centralized around Elena, played by Degrassi Alum, Nina Dobrey and her love interest (and coincidental vampire) Stefan.

Ok lets be flat out about this. Stefan, or Paul Wesley, makes me long for the awful and horrid acting of Robert Pattinson. The TV execs are even trying to knock off the token Edward Hair. Its just sad.

The plot is ok, there are ups and downs (mainly down). Overall, I give the plot a C-. So far we have a witch, vampires, drug dealers and football players. So the cast is meh. The acting I give a D- (primarily because Paul Wesley is the worst Vampire actor since Jim Carrey in Once Bitten).

The one small bit of hope is Ian Somerhalder. Ian plays Damon our token Bad Boy Vamp. But overall Ian is sexy and can actually act, which is a breath of fresh air for this show.

If you missing True Blood or Twilight, don't expect Vampire Diaries to fill this void!

1 comment:

Maggie Cats said...

I had the exact same response when they showed the pilot at Comic Con. Zzzzzzzz....oh, Somerhalder hotness!.....zzzzzzzzzz.