Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Working on a Deadline

Well, I finally took the plunge. We are living in a material world and I am a material girl, so I decided it was time to upgrade my television to an HD TV. Last Thursday I used some of my federal income tax refund to order a Sony Bravia LCD tv.

It was a good chunk of change; the recession has resulted in prices dropping a little, but these things are still not cheap. Still, I think I got a good deal and I'm really excited about getting to view all my fav shows in HD now. Just think! I will be able to see every pore on Jensen Ackles beautiful beautiful face!

But there is one downside. To get HD I need to have an HD cable box. Which means I have to trade in my current cable box. Which means I am losing everything on my DVR. EVERYTHING. Including things I have been hanging onto for over a year. It just seems cruel! But I think this might be one of those "people grow apart and move on moments." I'm just going to have to learn to deal. And watch everything on my DVR before March 9 when the new tv arrives!

What has been the hardest things to lose? So far, my Pushing Daisies Season 2 epsiodes, since who knows when and if ABC will ever decide to air the remaining last three eps of the season. Apparently, ABC has the rights to air them until September which means we definitely won't see a DVD set before then. Also, I don't live in LA, so I can't go to the Paley Festival and see them there.

I'm also having trouble letting go of my BBC America Life on Mars episodes. I've never watched the American version, since I kind of figured, what's the point? The British version is so good, I never felt a need to watch the American one. But the British version isn't out on Region 1 DVD and might never be!

*pout*

But still, it seems a small price to pay for the joy of HD. I've been hanging onto these shows for so long now, it's like they've become sentimental objects; like an art project from third grade, or my middle school band participation plaque (what? Like you don't have stuff like that lying around your house). I will try think of this as a growing experience and go from there.

In the meantime, I have been furiously trying to watch everything on my DVR before the March 9 deadline, and in some cases, rewatch before I have to say goodbye forever. So if you need me, you know where to find me. On the couch furiously trying to suck every moment of remaining joy out of my DVR.

No comments: