Friday, March 06, 2009

United States of Tara

About a month ago there was a lot of hype about the United States of Tara on Showtime. The show is created and written by Diablo Cody, brought to fame by Juno and her former stripping career. However, I had enough television shows on my plate and didn't have the time to commit to a new one. But, I had some free time this weekend and decided to commit to watching United State of Tara on Showtime OnDemand.

First of all I REALLY liked it. The plot was interesting, the acting was great and the characters had a lot of depth.For those of you who have not heard, the US of Tara is a show starring Toni Colette that deals with a middle aged housewife who has D.I.D. (Dissociative Identity Disorder). DID is more commonly known as Multiple personality disorder. I really enjoyed Toni Colette's portrayl of a modern day Sybil. Her "alters" include Buck (a vietnam vet), T (a 16 year old) and Alice (a 50s style housewife). Each of the alters is given as much character background as the other characters and really feel like there is depth.

Joining Toni Colette is John Corbett playing Tara's husband. I LOVE him. Most people cherish him from his portrayl in Sex and the City but I have been a fan since the Northern Exposure days. He is great, dealing with each "alter" and struggling not to sleep with the non male alters.

The rest of the show centers on Tara's family life and life with the alters. The family has a young gay kid (15/16) and a teenage daughter, each tolerating the alters, having favorites and least favorites.

Each episode I watched was great and I watched all 7 episodes on demand in one sitting. I encourage everyone to check it out on Showtime OnDemand.

And for all of you Daily Show fans starting episode 3ish Nate Cordry steals the show as the teenage girls boyfriend and local chain restaurant manager.

No comments: