Thursday, November 20, 2008

Private Practice should never have gone public

I should have known. When I saw my very first episode of Grey's Anatomy, I spent the entire hour yelling at the TV. My friend Emily, who is a fan of the show, spent the entire hour hating my guts. I can't help it - when medical dramas don't even attempt accuracy, it makes my blood boil. Especially when they use genetics purely for dramatic effect. During Grey's, my breaking point was when McDreamy called the BRCA1 gene "braca." During Private Practice last night, it was when Addison "diagnosed" a fetus with a 22q11 deletion after a five second ultrasound.

I hate you and everything you stand for.

I won't get into how bass-ackwards the writers got this situation - frankly, I don't have the time. See me later if you want the full diatribe. Needless to say, within ten minutes I was severely pissed. And it just got worse from there. There was unprofessional conduct, irrationality and schmaltz as far as the eye could see.

The problem is that everyone on this show is just so damn pretty. The doctors are pretty, and they wear fabulous outfits. The receptionist is played by Chris Lowell, of Veronica Mars fame. For crying out loud, they've got Taye Diggs running around the place! No wonder everyone is too distracted to practice medicine.

Piz - What happened to you, man? You used to be cool.

And yes, I know it's all part of the fantasy. Tons of medical professionals love these shows (witness my friend Emily, one of the smartest people I know). I'm sure it's largely because they are pure fluff that is completely detached from a somewhat depressing reality. But to me it just feels dishonest and so very, very wrong.

On the other hand ... maybe I can just watch it on "mute."

No comments: