Saturday, December 06, 2008

Secret Girlfriend of the Week: Tina Fey

This season I finally got into 30 Rock. I remember when it premiered; I watched the first few episodes, but wasn't impressed. But after it's run at the Emmy's this past year, I decided to give it another shot. And I have been pleasantly surprised.

The wacky characters, who seemed jarring and disjointed when I first watched the show, have gelled, and the show has settled into a good rhythm. While the comedic highlight of the show is still Alec Baldwin, who can make my knees turn to jelly with the timbre of his voice, it's Tina Fey's Liz Lemon, who sits at the eye of the storm, that I have really connected with this year.

Liz Lemon is the lone voice of reason in the mayhem, but she is also flawed. And that's what I love. She uses her sharp wit as a weapon, is desperate for approval from almost everyone she meets, and really needs to work on her social graces, but you know what? That's what makes her real. If she was just some typical middle-management woman running around, throwing her arms up at the circus around her, and giving the audience a wink everytime she got embroiled in a wacky plot, that would get boring. We root for Liz, but we also know that in her own way she is just as crazy as everyone else around her. And I kind of feel that's how Tina Fey is in real life.

She's definitely willing to make fun of herself, which is always attractive, and she is the creator and head writer of 30 Rock. Which is actually really badass. She's a woman in charge! In all her interviews, she comes across as witty, self-deprecating, and smart. Also, I think she's really pretty.

See? Funny and smokin.

There's also an air of mystery about her; I'm sure you noticed the scar on the left side of her face. She never talked about in interviews until recently (basically saying she didn't like thinking about it and it's nobody's business so STFU nosy people), so it lent this whole aura of secrecy. Like maybe she used to work as a government assassin and she got in a fight with a ninja and went through a plate glass window...or maybe I need to not watch Grosse Pointe Blank while writing blog entries. There is even a whole blog devoted to that scar!

In any event, Tina Fey rocks my world, I have definitely developed a girl crush on her, and she is therefore the Secret Girlfriend of the Week.

No comments: