Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Doctor Who, I am disappoint

Like most sci-fi fans, I love continuity and attention to detail in my TV shows. If you're going to create a world, you've got to play by your own rules - otherwise, it just becomes a big confusing mess. On the other hand, Doctor Who has always been the exception to this. If someone says at the beginning of an episode, "this never has, never will, and never can come to pass" it pretty much becomes a waiting game to see how/why the Doctor decides to give that rule the finger.

For the most part, the good Doctor has used this well as a driving force for good story lines - there are consequences for breaking rules, or clever work-arounds. HOWEVER. This should not be construed as carte blanc to completely ignore essential plot points.

I'm talking to you, Moffat. Spoilers below for Season Six.

As you may remember, last season Rory died and was replaced by "Rory," a plastic duplicate created by the Nestene consciousness. This season, "Rory" has somehow managed to impregnate his wife. Um... what? Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that it's possible to make a fully - ahem - functional plastic duplicate. How, exactly, is he producing sperm? And even if you decide the Nestene consciousness is just very, very detail-oriented... human egg + plastic sperm ≠ baby. I'm not sure what it does equal, but still. When Amy tells the Doctor she's pregnant, his first reaction shouldn't have been, "What? What?" it should have been "Whose? Who's?" See what I did there?

There are other plot holes, but I couldn't let this particular one pass without comment (I'm a prenatal counselor, after all). I've only watched the first four or five episodes of this season, but from all reports it doesn't get any better. I'm reserving judgment until I see the second half of this season, however. So here's a word of advice, Moffat - straighten up and fly right!

As much as you can...

ETA: So... I kind of forgot that the Doctor rebooted the universe and Rory was restored to his normal, human time line. I guess I was thrown off by the fact that he still has memories of being a Centurion. Apologies for the error, but I'm leaving the post up because I stand by the spirit of the thing. And cause I like the jokes.

3 comments:

Aunty Pol said...

What is worse to me is that at the end of " Let's Kill Hitler" , River Song/Melody Pond says that DW told her she was " A child of the Tardis ."...Buh...Buh..what ???
It literally made my head hurt to try to figure out the portents of that.

Waving From Houston .

Monkey Sri said...

I think they're referring to the fact that River was conceived on the TARDIS, apparently whilst it was traveling through time and space. Cause if this time machine's a-rockin', don't come a-knockin'.

Waving back from DC!

Maggie Cats said...

I have NOT been a fan of Moffat's seasons thus far...but just weighing in that I really enjoyed Let's Kill Hitler. Yay River Song!

And hi Pol! Long time no see. :o)