Monday, June 21, 2010

Checking up on the Doctor

We're halfway through the new season of Doctor Who over on BBC America and I thought this might be a good time to see how the new season and the new Doctor are doing.

In a word: disappointing.

Aside from the first episode and Amy's Choice a few weeks back, I gotta say I'm not terribly impressed. And I had such high hopes for Steven Moffat! He of The Doctor Dances, The Girl in the Fireplace, and Blink! But somewhere, it's all gone wrong. Maybe it's having a newbie show runner, or deciding to go with mostly all new writers and directors, but from what I've seen so far, Doctor Who has committed the cardinal sin of any sci-fi action adventure show.

It got boring.

I'm watching the episodes because I feel that I should not because I am genuinely excited about them. I find myself doing other things (like the dishes, god help us all) while it's on, and they tend to languish on my DVR until the middle of the week when I finally get around to it. And I still don't really care about Amy. In this past week's episode, (SPOILER ALERT) when Rory got killed, I was just....disgusted? I mean, they had just killed him two episodes ago, brought him back, and then what, decided to kill him again? And I'm sure he'll be back anyway so should I really care?

Jacob, who recaps the show for TWOP, has hinted that there are very awesome things to come, but they seriously better kick it into gear fast. I don't think I would ever stop watching the show all together, but I'm in serious danger of losing my child-like love of it. Right now, I can't think of anything sadder.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I understand your frustration - the episodes have not been spectacular, and I think a part of that is due to the change - but I just rewatched most of season 2, parts of season 3 and all of season 4, and many of those episodes were ho-hum. I find myself thinking quite fondly of this season and eagerly waiting for the DVD boxed set. And I believe you will be quite happy with the surprising Richard Curtis episode. And the first of the two-part finale, was FANtastic.