Sunday, August 30, 2009

TV Marathon Watching

Some shows are well-served by marathons. The West Wing, Veronica Mars, Buffy, Battlestar Galactica, Mad Men...all of these are shows that you can easily sit on the couch and watch for hours on end.

But not every show makes for good marathon viewing. Case in point: Gossip Girl. Last weekend, my friend Chris and I settled in a for a mini-marathon of Gossip Girl, since we need to get through Season 2 before Season 3 starts this fall. We made it through the first four episodes (disc 1, natch) before we realized it was time to call it quits for the day.

Look, I really like Gossip Girl. I couldn't believe how addictive it was when I started watching, but viewing episode after episode of it doesn't really work. There's only so much bratty, whiny, rich (or in the case of Dan Humphrey, bourgeoisie) bitching you can take before you want to throw something through the television.

It's funny how after repeated viewing of the show, the only characters I could stand were Blair and Chuck, the supposed villains. Hey, at least their honest about what they want and are true to their characters. If it's in their best self-interest they're all for it. I find that kind of consistency refreshing.

The thing that is NOT refreshing is Dan and his hang-ups, Serena and her "oh woe is me the beautiful leggy blond" and Jenny with her annoying perkiness.

What are the chances the three of them get taken out by a bus/train in the second season finale? Considering how I know they all end up at college next season (well, except Jenny who is only 16), not great.

No comments: