Thursday, June 11, 2009

MSCR: Word Girl

Recently, I switched from cable TV to a digital antenna ... please contain your gasps of horror. It's actually been great - instead of flipping endlessly before finally settling on some random VH1 "reality" show, I stick to the network shows that I actually want to watch. Besides, I do a significant amount of watching online (if Hulu subscriptions are in the future, I may have to succumb - it will still be most cost-effective than paying for 50 channels of crap). But I do miss a few things ... like cartoons. More specifically, random toonage from Comedy Central, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network.

Cartoons are a colorful, zany escape from the daily grind and the laws of physics. I added “Monkey Sri’s Cartoon Round-up” to the blog a long time ago, to celebrate this genre. Once I cut the cable, I wondered if I'd be able to continue these posts. Luckily, it's PBS to the rescue! While these cartoons lack the senseless violence and adult humor I've so grown to love, many of them are freakin' adorable. Take, for example, Word Girl.

If you read her back story, it becomes obvious that
Word Girl is an... *ahem*... homage to Superman.

Okay, first off - she has a pet monkey. Bonus points right there. Secondly, she flies around town, using her super speed and strength to battle costumed villains, all while improving your vocabulary. Each segment of the show teaches two pretty tough words - things like "edible" and "cumbersome." The key of course, is repetition and colorful demonstrations. It's actually quite entertaining, and I can see how it would be great for kids.

According to Wikipedia, Word Girl started as a short that aired along with Maya and Miguel. This spin-off is now going strong in it's second season. The show's website also offers several flash games and puzzles, as well as a ton of resources for parents and educators. It airs (at least where I am) Monday-Friday at 5:30 pm.

2 comments:

Maggie Cats said...

I no need to watch cartoon. I speak good.

Monkey Sri said...

:P