Friday, May 17, 2013

Teen Dreams

I am a 33 year old woman. I am a lawyer with a mortgage and other adult responsibilities. And yet, my favorite network is The CW--a network that unapologetically targets teen girls and guys with their programming.

What can I say? I guess I am young at heart. Or I relate to the problems of impossibly pretty young people in ridiculous situations.

(It's definitely not the later.)

Anyhoo, the networks have been presenting their Fall television schedules at the Upfronts all week, and I have to say that I am most excited about The CW's. Sure, we've got Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D coming up over on ABC and I admit to being intrigued about Sleepy Hollow on FOX , but can either of those compare to the amazingness of what will be Reign, a drama about the teen years of Mary Queen of Scots in France? No way, Jose. It's going to be like The Tudors meets Pretty Little Liars. Bring. It. On.

Entertainment Weekly has a pretty good break-down of The CW's new Fall shows (as well as all the other networks' offerings), and there are some other bright spots.  The Tomorrow People looks like a teen X-Men and possibly a better version of the flame-out that was Heroes--and stars the hottie cousin of the current star of Arrow. And of course, The Vampire Diaries is getting it's own spin-off in the form of The Originals when Klaus and company wave goodbye to Mystic Falls and take to New Orleans for their own show. Juries out on this one, but The Vampire Diaries has become one of the best dramas on tv (seriously) so I have high hopes.

Maybe this kind of fare isn't your thing, but if you look around at the other networks' offerings I'm betting you'll find something that looks exciting. In many ways, this is my favorite time of year for television. We get tantalizing views of what's to come without having to worry about the reality of the shows. I mean, let's be honest--Reign is going to be pretty terrible, right? But on paper it sounds amazeballs! It's like shopping for shoes on the internet; you get to look at all the pretty pictures without worrying about whether they'll pinch your toes or or run narrow.

So what are you all looking forward to from the Fall 2013 television season?



No comments: