Sunday, November 22, 2009

Winners!

This past week saw two big fashion reality shows pick their winners. On the CW, Tyra crowned Nicole as America's Next Top Model, and over on Lifetime, Project Runway picked the "villain" of the season, Irina, as the season 6 winner.

What's that? What are my thoughts? Well, I'm so glad you asked!

Well, you can't deny that Nicole looks like a model. Despite Tyra's insistence that this season was all about picking a "petite" model, Nicole measures 5'7, so not really that petite. She's actually a whole inch taller than me. Because the only thing stopping me from being a model is my height. And if you believe that, I have some land in Florida to sell you.

The Top Model finale came down to two models: Nicole, a geeky, shy, and weird redhead (so you know I loved her), and Laura, a sweet hick from a small town in Kentucky or somewhere, who wore outfits made by her grandmother and spent her spare time pre-show castrating bulls. Yes, castrating. But for the first time in Top Model history, both finalists were nice, pretty, and actually really talented models. I was rooting for Nicole because we redheads gotta stick together, but would not have been upset if Laura had taken it. Honestly, they were both deserving and how many times can you say that about a reality show?

As for Project Runway, it was Irina and her collection of New York-inspired, modern warrior wear that stole the show and clinched her the win. The other two finalists' (Althea and Carol Hannah) collections seemed immature and piecemeal in comparison, so it was pretty obvious that Irina would be taking the win. Thus providing an appropriate conclusion to Project Runway's most BORING SEASON EVER. Seriously, I am so pleased this show is heading back to New York next year and Nina and Michael will be present in every episode. Because, this season has been a yawner, for reals.

There is some controversy over Irina's win, but honestly, I think it will come to nothing. I also think that anyone who viewed the final collections with an objective eye has to admit that Irina's was the most technically advanced, if not most colorful. That was a lot of black, girlfriend.

But there you go! Two fashion themed reality shows ended, and in my opinion, the right people won! I can't say whether any of them will go on to take the fashion industry by storm, but hey, that's not really the point is it? Just take some pretty pictures and show me some pretty clothes. That's all I really ask.

Oh, stop looking so smug, Irina. You may not be the villain the editors tried to make you out to be, but you're no pretty princess either.

No comments: