Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Doctor of Mindf*ckery

SPOILER ALERT: This post contains plot details from the last two episodes of House, M.D.

--

I'm of two minds about the House, M.D. season finale (pun intended, for those who've seen the episode). I was actually pretty bored with the first 35 minutes. I'm not a Huddy shipper, so their hookup in last week's episode didn't really do anything for me. This episode opened with House waking up alone, and acting all nostalgic about the night before. Which, while really really cute, was disappointingly out of character for him.

Gregory House getting all schmoopy over forgotten cosmetics? Really?

Then, of course, it fell to Cuddy to be a raging bitch the next day and screw everything up. No one can be as bitchy as House, but she gave it her best shot. Next there was a lot of Wilson-enabled sophomoric behavior, as well as some tooth-achingly sweet moments of playing with Cuddy's lipstick. At this point, I was surfing the internet and seriously considering taking a bathroom break without pausing my Hulu playback. Yeah, it was that bad.

And then they drop the bomb - it was all a drug-induced hallucination. House never detoxed. He and Cuddy never hooked up. And the lipstick he was playing with? Actually a bottle of vicodin. My mind, she is blown. Side note: ghost of Kutner cameo! Kal Penn = LOVE.

"Sup?"

Overall, I liked the finale. The side stories with Cameron and Chase's wedding and the old man who squawked (played by the hilarious Carl Reiner) really tugged at the old heartstrings. But I don't know if the payoff of the big reveal was worth slogging through the hot Huddy mess that was the first 3/4 of the episode.

No comments: