Thursday, February 07, 2008

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chroniclezzzzzzzz

Hey! Its that new show! With Not Gay Zach from Heroes, and River from Firefly, and...that chick from 300. Is it good? Yeah! Really good? Eh.

So, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (T:TSCC) has had about 3 shows on now. I feel that is enough to be completely judgmental as to its performance, don't you agree?

I remember reading the reviews of this right before it aired. Most people agreed that it was everything the Bionic Woman was not. A refreshing look at a some-what stale franchise. After all, it had been several years since T:3 came out, and I think we can all agree that the movie was meh, at best. And it didn't feel like the public was yearning for some new terminator mythology.

Despite the glowing reviews and the writer-strike starved wasteland that was new scripted shows, I was only so-so excited about T:TSCC. And despite liking the pilot and subsequent episodes, I am still only so-so about it. Nobody is more disappointed by that fact than me.

For those of you unfamiliar, here is a brief synopsis:
Based on the heroine of the Terminator series of films, Sarah Connor (Lena Headey), The Sarah Connor Chronicles begins where Terminator 2: Judgment Day left off. Sarah had just vanquished the Terminator sent from the future to kill her son, John (Thomas Dekker). Now, Sarah and John are alone in a complex world as fugitives as they constantly look over their shoulders for more enemies from the past, present or future that could attack them at any time. Tired of running, Sarah opts to go on the offensive against the Terminators set on ending her life, as well as the world.
I mean, the show has some great action scenes. Watching River, oh, I'm sorry, Cameron, kicking anybody's ass is pretty exciting, but other than that...*yawn* The sub-plots just aren't doing it for me. It's pretty much been the same thing, "we gotta get John ready for the apocalypse instead of being a whiny little brat like he is...we have to track down people who might be rebuilding SkyNet...blah blah blah." And then Cameron wails on somebody.

Am I being unfair? Probably. But unless someone is getting their face pounded, my attention wanders during the show and I find myself working on something else while I watch.

I'm not even sure this is the kind of thing that needs to be fixed. Unlike Reaper, that needed to move its plot and mythology forward, T:TSCC seems to be doing just that. I guess its non-violent parts are just not my cup of tea. Which is why there are 3 gazillion other channels. And I'll keep watching this show, but it might languish on my DVR for a while before I get to it.

The soundtrack with all the drums is all kind of awesome, though.

So, a Spartan, a not-gay-teenager, and a psychic assassin walk into a bar....

No comments: