Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Thursdays at 9

Fall tv season continues to roll along, and the premieres are coming fast and loose. But mixed in with the new shows are some returning favorites. Do the new ones live up to the hype? Are the older shows still enjoyable? I've got some of your answers below...at least when it comes to the Thursday at 9:00 timeslot. Is EVERYTHING airing then or is it just me?

The Crazy Ones: I thought this one was going to be terrible. I've got a low tolerance for Robin Williams when he goes off the rails (unless he is playing a big blue genie) and the ads for this show were painful. Also, Sarah Michelle Gellar, as much as I love her, isn't exactly a comedian.

But you know what? I was actually pleasantly surprised. There was enough of Robin Williams actually acting to not bug and SMG plays the straight (wo)man to his craziness really well. When you add in James Wolk (who played Bob Benson on Mad Men last season) who is adorable and hilarious you get a pretty good show. Oh, and the pilot featured Kelly Clarkson who is awesome, so I can't help but recommend it. I know, I know, I am surprised too.

The Crazy Ones airs Thursdays at 9:00 pm on CBS.

The Goldbergs: Oh, god, the 1980s. Think of this show as Malcom in the Middle meets The Wonder Years. The main character is a kid growing up in the 1980s with his wacky family. He has a video camera and records his family....well, being wacky. The pilot had several laugh out loud moments, and maybe I can relate because my family is also Jewish and crazy, but I am definitely keeping this one on the season pass.

The Goldbergs (also) airs Thursdays at 9:00 pm on ABC.


It's like Awkward Family Photos: the show.

Glee: Cue eyeroll. Look, nobody wants this show to be good again more than me. I loved the first season and have stuck with it through thick and thin. And while I don't think I can ever give up watching it...the premiere was just not good. It was a Beatles themed episode (part 1 of 2) and I am a huge Beatles fan. But there was no creativity to the arrangements, the plots were all kind of boring, and even the adorable Kurt and Blaine stuff didn't do it for me. It was just trying too hard to be adorable. And when Rachel thought she bombed her Funny Girl audition and then wandered Central Park singing "Yesterday," I just wanted to punch her in the face. I am of course curious to see how the show deals with the tragic loss of Cory Monteith, who was just missing from the first episode all together, but I think the episodes are going to languish on the DVR until I find time for them. I just can't get excited about it anymore.

Glee ALSO airs Thursdays at 9 on FOX.

 You know what this show really needs? More cast members! Amiright?

Coming soon: thoughts on the return of Revenge and the new series BetrayalSuper Fun Night, and The Originals.

No comments: