Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I vant to suck your ratings...

Remember when NBC was the top network? Back in the ages of Friends and ER...and I am sure there were other shows too but those are the only ones I can think of right now.

Since it's heyday in the late 90s, NBC has become a joke. Quite literally in fact, since about 2/3 of the jokes on 30 Rock seem to revolve around how terrible the network is doing. But there was breaking news this week that might indicate NBC is on the right track, at least as far as new programming goes (the less said about its treatment of Community the better).

From the Los Angeles Times:
On Tuesday, NBC announced the 10-episode series "Dracula," starring (Jonathan) Rhys Meyers as the count, who travels to London in the 1890s. He poses as an American entrepreneur seeking to introduce modern technology to Victorian society, but in reality he's seeking revenge on the people who ruined his life centuries before. Of course, he falls for a girl who might or might not be the reincarnation of his lost love. 
OH HELL YEAH. This just sounds awesome. First of all: Dracula. Second of all: period piece. Third of all (is that a saying?): 10 episode order which means they can focus the money and energy on making those 10 episodes awesome. And methinks there might a touch of steampunk in there as well. I mean someone introducing "modern technology" in "Victorian times" definitely seems to imply that, right?


As for Jonathan Rhy Meyers, meh. I know a lot of ladies want to fling their panties at him, but honestly he never did it for me. Probably because I saw him a long time ago in this really creepy disturbing movie called Gormenghast (pictured). 



In other news, this picture is courtesy of the website, Hot Guys in Period Costume. Which I thought was the best website EVER. At least until I discovered the tumblr Fuck Yeah Costume Drama.

It seems like Dracula is very hot right now. The LA Times article goes on to note that several other tv shows and movies are gearing up for Dracula projects, including one on Starz called Vlad Dracula about the origins of the vampire. If it's anything like Spartacus, sign me up.

But let's just agree that it's never going to get better than this:


Gary Oldman is in the motherfucking house, y'all. Bow down, Dracula pretenders.

2 comments:

Scienter said...

I'm with you on the "meh" for Jon Rhys Meyers. After his erm... extremely overacted orgasm scene in the Tudors, I just can't take him seriously.

Maggie Cats said...

Which one? Cause there were like 3 an episode by my count.

Get it? Count? Dracula?