Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Project Runway: I Got Your Pins and Needles Right Here

I love this show. And when I say love, I don’t mean on the Buffy or Robot Chicken scale. I mean, if there was one show I could choose to be a part of (either in front or behind the camera) I think it would be Project Runway. And mostly just because I want to worship at the feet of Tim Gunn (he’s from DC, holla!). Because Tim is a God (with a big G so you know I am serious). Show me a host of a reality show who is more knowledgeable, poised, articulate, and charismatic and I’ll show you…well, nothing, because such a person does not exist. Don’t get me wrong, I love Heidi, I had no idea she was so funny and clever until this show started, but Tim is the man.

And so the third season has begun! Bravo has taken pity on us poor souls, and has aired the third season in the summer instead of making us wait until December or January. Which I think means they must have done this season as soon as Parsons emptied out for the summer, so their post-production turn-around time must be crazy fast. Not that you can tell from the show; the quality of the production is just as good, and I agree with the judges that in terms of raw talent this might be the best group of designers so far.

Here are my picks for the final three: Robert (he of the Barbie designs and West Side Story inspired first challenge dress), Michael (from Hotlanta who wants to break into the fashion-music biz and made the dress from coffee filters), and Keith (he won the first challenge, and I think mentioned he has never designed women’s wear before). Another possible contender is Laura, who made the gorgeous faux fur coat for the first challenge, but her point of view seems very narrow in that she is rooted in super elegant couture. I don’t see her pulling off sportswear or really branching out. But who knows? I wanted Nick to win last season, so what the hell do I know.

Other thoughts: dude, I really think Malan’s accent is fake. And I hope he messes up the accent and someone calls him on it. And then he and Jeffrey can tussle. And Malan can grab Jeffrey’s hoodie and pull the strings so it closes and we NEVER HAVE TO HEAR HIM TALK AGAIN. Or, Vincent will lose his shit (which is bound to happen at any moment) and kill all the designers except Robert who will fight him off with that ugly-ass basket hat that Vincent made and then Robert will win by default. Yay! Speaking of Vincent, did everybody else notice how quickly he backpedaled on that hat in front of the judges? According to Tim’s podcast, Vincent was all about the hat, but when the judges questioned it he was all, “oh, I wasn’t sure about the hat at all.” Liar. You don't pull that shit with Tim Gunn, he will cut you.

No comments: